The Delta School District is committed to transparent budget planning and resource allocation that is directly aligned with the strategic vision, goals and objectives established by the Board. It is our sincere hope that as many voices as possible engage in the annual budget input process to provide feedback on their funding priorities for the upcoming school year.
How you can get involved:
- Review the resources (see below) for an explanation of the school district budget and the process involved to create it annually
- Let the school district know your priorities prior to development of the draft budget:
- Attend the Public Board Meeting on Tuesday, February 21 from 7:30 – 9pm at the School Board Office, 4585 Harvest Drive, Delta
As this is a regular Public Board Meeting with a full agenda, speakers will be limited to 5 minutes each. As a result, we strongly encourage participants to also provide a written submission of their priorities to email@example.com in case they run out of time during the meeting.
All feedback and/or questions submitted verbally or via email, along with your name and affiliation to any partner group organization, will be recorded and made available publicly in the minutes of the board meeting.
We anticipate that the feedback received during this meeting will help inform and guide discussions at the dedicated Public Input Session on March 7. As a result, we encourage participants to attend both the February 21 and March 7 sessions.
- Participate in an online Public Input Session on Tuesday, March 7 from 7:30 – 9pm.This public engagement session is dedicated to facilitating discussion and gathering feedback on the public’s priorities for the 2023/2024 school district budget. Sign up here. Instructions for joining the Zoom session will be emailed to registered participants on Monday, March 6.
- Email your priorities to firstname.lastname@example.org before noon on Tuesday, March 7.
- Provide your input on the draft budget recommendations once they are released on Thursday, April 13 on the district’s website at deltasd.bc.ca and in the local newspapers:
- Attend the Special Public Board Meeting on Tuesday, April 18 from 7:30 – 9pm at the School Board Office, 4585 Harvest Drive, Delta
- Email your feedback to email@example.com before noon on Monday, April 17
- Complete a short survey before noon on Monday, April 17. The survey will be available on the district’s website on April 13
- Overview of budget and process
- Role of the Board of Trustees (`Video – 3 minutes)
- Budget Process Presentation (Video – 15 minutes)
- Connection to Vision 2030 and Strategic Plan 2021 – 2024 (Video – 3 minutes)
- Supporting our Schools (Pdf)
- Learning Services – Curriculum, Instruction and Assessment; Inclusive Learning; Equity and Success (Video – 5 minutes)
- International Student Programs (Video – 2 minutes)
- Employee Services (Pdf)
- Facilities and Planning (Video – 3 minutes)
- Finance and Management Services (Video – 2 minutes)
More detailed information on the district’s Vision and Strategic Plan can be found here:
Vision 2030 Strategic Plan 2021-2024
Important Dates (subject to change; please check back regularly for updates)
Feb – March: Ongoing consultation with stakeholders – parents and the community, including local First Nations, Musqueam Indian Band and Tsawwassen First Nation, Delta Principals and Vice Principals Association, Delta Teachers’ Association, CUPE 1091 and Delta DPAC.
Opportunities for the public to provide feedback on their priorities ahead of the creation of the draft budget include:
- In-Person Public Board Meeting – Tuesday, February 21, 2023
- Online Public Input Session – Tuesday, March 7, 2023 (Sign up here)
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org before noon on March 7, 2023
March 15, 2023: Funding announcement from the Ministry of Education
April 13, 2023: Public release of the draft budget via the school district website and local newspapers
April 18, 2023: Special Public Board Meeting at the School Board Office at 7:30p.m.
This meeting provides an opportunity for parents/guardians and the community to provide feedback and/or ask questions on the draft budget
April 25, 2023: Regular Public Board Meeting – Tentative date for the Board to review the public’s input before amending and/or approving the budget for 2023/2024